The YMCA of the Inner North East Adelaide (INEA) based in Walkerville began life in 1956, as the RSL Walkerville Boys Club, located on Walkerville Terrace. The following year 1957 the growing club became a YMCA. On 2nd May 1965, the Walkerville YMCA moved to the current Smith St site and remained a branch of the Adelaide YMCA which then in November 2002, became a full member association of YMCA Australia. Today we are known as the YMCA of the Inner North East of Adelaide (INEA).
The YMCAs of Australia work together from a base of Christian values to provide opportunities for all people to grow in body, mind and spirit.
We are making a positive difference by providing opportunity to each and every person to be healthy, happy and connected.
The YMCAs of Australia are guided to achieve their Mission by the following Christian values. We value:
- The whole person, consisting of a body, a mind and a spirit each of which is of equal importance.
- The dignity and intrinsic worth of all people regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, belief or other difference.
- Diversity of people, communities and nations.
- Equality of opportunity and justice for all people.
- Healthy communities based on relationships between people which are characterised by love, understanding and mutual respect.
- Acceptance of personal responsibility.
Established in Adelaide in 2002 YMCA INEA currently run 2 key facilities, Walkerville YMCA and Kensington YMCA. YMCA INEA operates across a range of council areas such as The Corporation of the Town of Walkerville, The City of Norwood, Payneham and St Peters, The City of Prospect and One-third of the City of Port Adelaide Enfield.